Sometimes the most challenging part of baking a cake is not the baking at all, but having to apply the frosting. Here are some of our frosting tips which we hope will help make putting the icing on the cake a snap!
1. Use a pastry brush to brush the cake layers in order get rid of any loose crumbs. You can also brush the cake with a little syrup to help the crumbs adhere to the cake. Place one cake layer on a plate and slide four thin pieces of waxed paper under the edges of the cake.
2. Place some frosting on the first cake layer and spread it evenly out to the edges of the cake. Using an icing spatula will make the spreading easy. Place the remaining cake layer on top.
3. Spead a thin layer of frosting on the top and sides of the cake. This will help to seal in the crumbs and leave a smooth surface for applying the second layer of frosting.
4. Place a mound of frosting on top of the cake and spread evenly along the top. Wipe off the spatula as often as needed to remove excess frosting. Finally, spread the frosting over the sides of the cake in smaller amounts, turning the cake as you move the spatula. Be sure to check along the sides of the top of the cake for uneveness and smooth out where necessary. Remember, most cake frostings are very forgiving and can be scraped off or reapplied where necessary.
5. Gently pull out the waxed paper one piece at a time. This will give you a clean finished buttom edge.
We hope this was helpful and that you can now put "The Icing On The Cake" with ease and confidence!