Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Magnificent Muffins



We love muffins! They are a wonderful addition to any brunch, lunch or dinner. Here is a basic vintage muffin recipe from Farm Journal's Country Cookbook, 1959 which is sure to bake up tender, fluffy muffins every time. An unlimited variety of muffins can be made by adding to this basic recipe. Try adding your favorite cheese and garlic, apples and nutmeg, or strawberries and chocolate. Whether savory or sweet, muffins are sure to please any palate.



Basic Muffin Recipe


2 cups sifted flour


1 tblsp. baking powder


1/2 tsp. salt


3 tblsp. sugar


1 egg, beaten


1 cup milk


3 tblsp. oil or melted shortening



Sift together, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.



Combine in bowl egg, milk and oil; pour into dry ingredients all at once. With a wooden spoon, stir until dry ingredients are moist but still lumpy about 17 to 25 strokes.



Spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling pans only 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees 20 to 28 minutes, depending on the size of the muffins. Makes about 18 medium sized muffins.

5 comments:

Miranda said...

I am trying to muffin recipe! It looks great! My kiddos love muffins!!!!!
By the way, I lived in Avon Lake! I moved to FL about three years ago. But if I still lived in AL I would be visiting your bakery on a weekly basis.
Do you make homemade bread too?

Juls said...

I love muffins too!
Great recipe!

Baker Babes Bakery said...

Response to Miranda. No breads at this time.

Danica's Daily said...

Thanks for the basic recipe - I am totally saving this! LOVE muffins

Danielle said...

Oooh thanks for the recipe! I love having a basic recipe to play around with!!