Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Going Green or a Month of Zucchini at Baker Babes Bakery


Phyllis and I planted wonderful vegetable gardens this summer. The zucchini plants seem to love the hot humid weather in Cleveland Ohio, producing dozens of 14" long zucchinis almost overnight! It has been great to use these delicious vegetables in our baking and cooking. So as you can guess, we've been making loads of zucchini breads and chocolate zucchini cakes for our family, friends and customers.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake



I often make zucchini as a side dish with dinner. My recipe for zucchini stir fry has become my family's favorite. Here's the recipe for you to try. Its great with fish, meat, or poultry. I hope your family will love it too!


















Judy's Zucchini Stir Fry (4 side servings)

2 medium zucchini (1/8" slices)
1 medium yellow squash (1/8" slices)
1 medium yellow onion (sliced thin)
2 cloves garlic (diced)
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. paprika
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil




Slice zucchini, yellow squash, and onion and set aside. Dice the garlic and set aside. In a wok or large sauce pan melt the butter (or heat the olive oil). Turn burner up to medium high and add the onion and garlic stirring for 3 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir frequently for 15 minutes. Vegetables are done when the zucchini is soft and translucent.




7 comments:

Claudia said...

Zucchini has been prolific in MN also and it's still coming! 20 zucchini recipes and counting. I love the stir fry. Beautifully simple letting the fresh vegetable shine.

Kim - Liv Life said...

This looks so good! Love your photos of the zucchini on the vine!

baking.serendipity said...

Didn't realize you lived in Cleveland! I grew up in Strongsville and miss it, especially in the fall. We used to grow the best zucchini! Looking forward to all of your recipes this month :)

Deb@montrosevideo.com said...

Great photos. I recently have been trying to eat vegetarian so I'm always looking for new recipes. Don't have turmeric though, I'll have to look for that. I don't even know what that tastes like, but I'm sure it adds something to the dish.

Deb said...

Great photos. I recently have been trying to eat vegetarian so I'm always looking for new recipes. Don't have turmeric though, I'll have to look for that. I don't even know what that tastes like, but I'm sure it adds something to the dish.

Sara said...

I'm not sure I've had chocolate zucchini cake...but I think I'd like to. Sounds like a delightful combination.

The Mom Chef said...

I love zucchini and squash sauted with onion like that. Crack an egg over it and it's pure heaven.