Monday, November 14, 2011

Ever - So Da Bread

With the holidays quickly approaching I love to have fresh bread available when family and friends pop in for lunch or a late night sandwich. This soda bread recipe is easy, flavorful and yeast-less. Its aroma is wonderful and will make your home smell warm and cozy this holiday season.

Soda Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
This recipe is for one extra large loaf baked on a large floured baking sheet or for two loaves baked in two 8" by 4" greased loaf pans.

4 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1 1/2 tsps. baking soda
1 1/2 tsps. salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups buttermilk
3 egg, lightly beaten
4 tblsp. butter, melted

In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the sugar. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk, eggs and cooled butter. Stir until well blended but not sticky. If using a baking sheet, turn onto a well-floured board and shape until round, about 2 inches high. Then place on a floured baking sheet. You can score the top of the bread if you like. If using two loaf pans, lightly grease them and just pour in the batter until half way full. Bake for 45 minutes. Cool in baking sheet or pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes then remove from pans and place bread on a wire rack until cool.

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh I just love soda bread! This sounds like a great recipe and I can't wait to try it out =)

Thrifty Bonvivant said...

I'm going to get some buttermilk this week and try it--very inspiring!

Tina said...

Nothing beats the smell of bread baking nor the taste of homemade bread! I love soda bread..that crispy crust and the chewy inside. Yours does look delicious. Thanks for sharing

Carol Egbert said...

I've been experimenting with quick breads, this recipe is one I'll try. Thanks.

Elpiniki said...

I love homemade bread!
I just found your blog and I loved it! Am a happy follower now!
Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

Eric @ Happy Valley Chow said...

Soda bread is awesome, I'm thinking about making some for St. Patricks Day! Maybe I'll just have to try your recipe :)